All across the UK, during the week of the campaign, children will be learning simple phrases in British Sign Language. By the end of the week, classmates will be able to sign a basic conversation!
Children are the most appropriate age group to learn a new language, and by doing so they also develop their communication and interpersonal skills – a requisite for their personal development, whatever their choice of career!
Organisations too, are taking up the challenge all across the nation! – from chemists to army regiments, and supermarkets to businesses, all are joining in the fun and have promised to follow a two-hour BSL taster course as well as raising funds for the Sign Community charity. Each staff member will receive a certificate of attendance after the two-hour taster course. Signs they learn in the course, will no doubt, be useful not only with communicating with their Deaf clientele, but also in and around the office!
You can be part of the campaign too! There’s lots of things you can do, for example:
- sign up to one of our popular courses on this website,
- request a Sign Community Passport for free from your local office
- buy our new-style magazine from ASDA or WHSmiths (or from our local office)
- buy our fun merchandise – great as presents (if you really want to give them away!)
- or make a donation to our local offices so that we can ensure the future of British Sign Language and the inclusivity of Deaf people into mainstream society
<< Go back to main Events Page